Students in the University of Iowa College of Law once again will have access to a collaborative learning space thanks to some generous Iowa Law School donors.
The new Lauridsen Family Law Commons will pay tribute to a decades-old Law Commons that was located on the site of the current UI College of Public Health building and was home to the Iowa Law School from 1961 to 1986. The former commons—which played a significant role in the lives of countless UI law students—closed its doors for good in 2007.
Through a $1 million leadership gift from the Lauridsen Family Foundation, and additional leadership gifts from Orville W. Bloethe (1941 B.A., 1947 J.D.), and Theodore “Ted” M. Seldin (1953 B.A., 1955 J.D.) and Sarah N. Seldin, the UI College of Law will be able to open the Lauridsen Family Law Commons in the Boyd Law Building in late 2016. The state-of-the art space will feature a café, collaborative meeting areas, and a seminar room. It will be located on the ground floor of the current Boyd Law Building.