The mission of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) committee is to provide an equitable and welcoming environment by embracing the commonalities and differences of our law school community through programming, recruitment, mentorship, and enrichment. All students, faculty, and staff currently enrolled in or employed at the University of Iowa College of Law are eligible to be members.
Charges of the Committee:
- Review proposals forwarded to this committee from the summer ad hoc Iowa Law Anti-Racism Action Committee; identify action steps to assess and implement those recommendations.
- Continue to create and support opportunities for discourse and a broad exchange of ideas to facilitate a better understanding of ourselves, each other, and the issues and controversies of the day.
- Support and assist recruitment of diverse law school applicants, including the admitted applicant's welcome package and consider other initiatives to support recruitment and success of diverse students.
- Continue to contribute to the preparation of culturally proficient graduates. Explore possibilities for obtaining grants and other external resources for diversity, equity, and inclusion projects, including cross-cultural competency in lawyering.
- Support the judicial clerkship program and student mentorship program, and consider other programs we can develop to succeed in recruiting diverse students and help them succeed.